Monday, May 4, 2009

Day 1


Okay, here I am at day 1 of the Corn Meal for a year adventure. :) Many people have asked about what exactly I'm eating, so I guess I'll start with a brief description and recipe.
When World Vision brings in food to feed people who are starving, many times they provide ingredients to make a corn meal type "porriage." It is both economical and highly nutritious. It is not always what they use (depending on the region of the world, etc.), but it is a fair representation.
Here is the basic recipe:
1 cup cooked/smashed beans
3/4 cup maize or corn meal
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup dry milk
1/4 cup sugar
water to make it like cream of wheat consistency (you'll need at least 1 cup of water)
I mix everything together in a large bowl (bigger than you think might be necessary b/c the mixture tend to slosh around) until completely mixed. Then I pour it in a pan and cook it for about 5-10 minutes or until cooked through and bubbly.
This will make 2 servings, one for today ... and then I refrigerate the other serving so tomorrow I don't have to start all over again. I can just microwave it. With it I am having a glass of tap water.
Because I am obviously not starving, I have at this point taken out the oil and reduced the sugar by half.
Thanks everyone! I'll keep you posted on the progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment